Originally on this site there was an old thatched
chapel which dated from 1146 and was possibly the oldest
Chantry in the diocese. In Mr Baring Gould's Book of Dartmoor
he states 'At Sticklepath was a curious old cob thatched
chapel, but this was unnecessarily destroyed and a modern
erection of no interest or beauty has taken its place'.
This is referring to the current church of St Mary which
was built in 1875.
The only relic that remains from the old
chapel is the fragment of stone, with red and blue colouring,
which could be a figure of Mary in a blue robe, and is now
set in one of the recesses in the sanctuary. The new church
has a north porch and an apsidal chancel which is divided
from the nave by a plain arch.
The roof of the nave is open timbered and that of the
chancel panelled.The east window representing the crucifixion
was given in 1871 in memory of George Henry and Mary Jackson.
The west window was erected in 1913 by John Cook in memory
of his parents John and Mary who died in 1852 and 1882.
There is a small octagonal font.
In 1950 the whole of the belfry was demolished, as a
lot of the rafters were completely rotten, and then rebuilt.
The church, despite years of desecration and decay, has
survived. It was served by Sampford Courtney until 1933
when it joined with Belstone